Welcome to Ghana Pundit: The Home of Politics and Intelligent Analysis

LATEST:

Grab the widget  Tech Dreams

Insist on Your Right to Education

Uneducated citizenry is like a pitch any game can be played on it. Illiteracy is what has given the politicians in Ghana the chance to fool so many people for so a long a time.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Alfred Agbesi resigns from TOR board

Outspoken Alfred Kwame Agbesi has resigned as a member of the Tema Oil Refinery (TOR) board.

Mr Agbesi, who is the Member of Parliament for Ashaiman, tendered in his resignation letter to President Atta Mills on Monday May 10, 2010, at the Castle, Koku Anyidoho, Director of Communications at the Presidency, confirmed on Joy FM’s Super Morning Show hosted by Evans Mensah on Friday.

Prior to his resignation, Mr Agbesi had been critical of the President’s decision to dismiss Dr Kwame Ampofo as the Acting Managing Director of TOR. He is on record to have said Dr Ampofo was used as a sacrificial lamb.

“It is not Kwame Ampofo; it is not the board; it is not the management; but liquidity," he told Joy News in an interview hours after the managing director was dismissed.

Nonetheless, Mr Anyidoho says Mr Agbesi conceded to the president that he had been speaking without being privy to the facts. This was when President Mills personally invited him over the issue on his return from Equatorial Guinea.

“He did what he should not have done, he said what he should not have said,” Mr Anyidoho noted.

He said having realized he had “no solid grounds” for his sentiment, and that he was “side-stepping” the issue, Mr Agbesi humbly resigned from the board, and his resignation was accepted by the President.

“He decided that I have not discharged my duties to the best of my abilities, I have not respected the fact and I have said things that I shouldn’t have said. So for me I think that I can’t continue to function any longer as a member of the TOR board because I may not have the confidence of the board and I may not have the confidence of, as it were, right-thinking people in government. So I am stepping aside,” Mr Anyidoho recounted.

He denied that Mr Agbesi was pressurized to resign, saying rather that, by his own action, Mr Agbesi “fell on his own sword”.


Story by Isaac Essel/Myjoyonline.com/Ghana

No comments:

Ghana Pundit Headline News

E-mail subscription

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Pan Africa News

Graphic Ghana

MYJOYONLINE.COM

Peacefm Online - News with a vision

The Times - World News

The Times - Africa News

Pambazuka News :Emerging powers in Africa Watch

AfricaNews - RSS News

The Zimbabwe Telegraph

BBC News | Africa | World Edition

Modern Ghana

My Blog List

R.I.P.

R.I.P.

AfriGator

AfrigatorAfrigator