Wednesday, November 25, 2009
Security men accused of rape in Nalerigu
Residents of Nalerigu in the Northern Region have accused soldiers of raping at least three women in the town.
They say security men also brutalized people and destroyed property during a raid, which happened on Tuesday.
The security officers are said to have embarked on an operation to restore calm after some people went on the rampage to demand justice over the murder of former People’s National Congress parliamentary candidate, Moses Alando Banaba.
Mr Banaba was shot dead whilst returning from work earlier this month. Residents say the security agencies manhandled residents in the name of peacekeeping. A victim of the alleged harassment told Joy News on Wednesday the security officials have for some days now been blaring sirens to urge them to “rush into [their] rooms,” a situation he claims residents have become used to.
“They come, even if your house is locked, they’ll knock [and] when you open they’ll come in and beat you” the victim said.“They raped about three girls in our house,” another resident told Joy News’ Sammy Darko.The Northern Regional operational commander has however denied the allegations.ASP Bismark Achaab tells Joy News the security forces have had to take drastic measures to stamp out lawlessness in Nalerigu.
The military officials however indicated that some persons who allegedly burned a house in the town have been arrested.
Ghana Pundit Headline News
Pan Africa News
Peacefm Online - News with a vision
The Times - World News
The Times - Africa News
Pambazuka News :Emerging powers in Africa Watch
AfricaNews - RSS News
The Zimbabwe Telegraph
BBC News | Africa | World Edition
My Blog List
Guest Post: Desert Mirage: Fact-checking China in Namibia - *This guest post is by Jyhjong Hwang, the Senior Research Assistant at the** China-Africa Research Initiative at Johns Hopkins SAIS. * On Sunday, *The New...3 months ago
A Leopard can’t change its skin: PNDC versus Rev. Charles Palmer Buckle, NDC versus Rev Martey & Otabil - The Catholic Standard, before it was banned by the PNDC government of Jerry John Rawlings in 1985, was Ghana’s oldest private newspaper, owned by the Catho...10 months ago