Welcome to Ghana Pundit: The Home of Politics and Intelligent Analysis


Grab the widget  Tech Dreams

Insist on Your Right to Education

Uneducated citizenry is like a pitch any game can be played on it. Illiteracy is what has given the politicians in Ghana the chance to fool so many people for so a long a time.

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

GHANA:Mpiani sold government cars to nephew

Details have started emerging about the ‘strange’ circumstance under which the Government of Ghana (GoG), through the Ghana@50 Secretariat sold back some of the cars used during the celebration of the country’s 50th independence to companies who made the initial purchase for the government.

Documents in the possession of The Chronicle show a clear case of discrimination against some of the companies involved. Out of the numerous companies contracted by Ghana@50 Secretariat, only Fairllop International Limited, which was given the opportunity to supply the state with 40 Jaguar X-type vehicles for the celebration, at a unit cost of US$36,600.00 – TOTALLING u.s$1,464,000.00 was given the opportunity to buy back the cars at a 20% discount.

Fairllop is owned by Eric Agyemang, nephew of the former Chief of Staff and Minister for Presidential Affairs, Mr Kwadwo Mpiani, who doubled as the Chairman of the Planning Committee of the Ghana@50 celebrations.

The government sold 35 slightly used cars at US$28,000.00 each to Fairllop, which had purchased the same cars for the Secretariat. The company was asked to make a 20% down payment of the amount involved. Payment for the remaining 80% was to be made by September 30, 2008.
One L.B. Tusoe, the Chief Director at the office of the then Chief of Staff and Ministry for Presidential Affairs was ordered to take the necessary steps to change the ownership of the cars to Fairllop, at the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA).

Despite these arrangements, Fairllop did not pay a pesewa for the purchase of the cars. It also did not pay the 20% down payment, yet the ownership of the 35 cars were changed into its (Fairlop) name.

Meanwhile, companies like Svani limited, which supplied 50 units of Mercedes Benz to the event organizers at a price of 66,900.00 Euros per unit, was made to purchase 45 of those cars back, without any discount, as in the case of Fairlop which was given a 20% discount, a clear case of discrimination. Svani limited, however, managed to pay the total of US$3.763.125.00 whilst the debt of Fairlop remains outstanding.
Source: The Chronicle

No comments:

Ghana Pundit Headline News

E-mail subscription

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Pan Africa News

Graphic Ghana


Peacefm Online - News with a vision

The Times - World News

The Times - Africa News

Pambazuka News :Emerging powers in Africa Watch

AfricaNews - RSS News

The Zimbabwe Telegraph

BBC News | Africa | World Edition

Modern Ghana

My Blog List