We in NPP
M & J, is a privately owned by a family company based in Twyford, Berkshire
The prosecution for corruption arises from the company's voluntary disclosure to the Serious Fraud Office (SFO) of evidence to indicate that the company had sought to influence decision-makers in public contracts in
M&J and the bribery in
M & J conducted business in
Summary of payments:
Dr. Attoh Quarshie (former Roads Minister) - £55,000 ($88,000)
Saddique Bonniface (then a student at
Amadu Seidu (former Deputy Roads Minister) - £10,000 ($16,000)
Edward Lord-Attivor (Chairman Inter-City Transport Corporation) - £10,000 ($16000)
Dr George Sipah-Yankey (current Health Minister) - £15,000 ($24000)
Dr. Attoh Quarshie, the then Minister of Roads and Highways received a cheque in the sum of £55,000 for "Contract Consultancy". Instructions were received to enable Dr. Quarshie to immediately cash that cheque. The prosecution reiterated how much money laundering was going on under then NDC regime. The court stated that Amadu Seidu received £5,000 - it was paid to an account in
As a result of theses bribes
, M & J were paid £1.3 million ($2.08m) for
There was a paper trail of highly incriminating evidence where between 1994 and 1999, direct payments were made to Politicians and Civil Servants of Ghana. Government officials and individual politicians were paid bribes to the whacking tune of £470,792.62 ($753,267.20)
It is therefore up to us as a country to pursue the outcomes of this matter - the financial loses that we have incurred as against the corrupt financial gains the individuals and the government of the NDC made from mid-1980s till they were thrown out by the people of
We call on the current NDC government of
We in NPP
- to instruct the Attorney-General to immediately secure a copy of the Judgement from
Southwark Crown Courtand question those individuals named in the Court's Judgement immediately without delay.
- to set up an independent Commission of Enquiry to commence an investigation of the individuals and businesses M&J in
who profited or benefited from the bribes. They should refund the money or their assets confiscated and for criminal charges/penalties for causing financial loss to the state be brought against them IMMEDIATELY. Ghana
- ALTERNATIVELY, Parliament should be recalled immediately and the whole committee of it or the Constitutional Select Committee of Parliament call the Attorney General to immediately institute the necessary investigation as directed by the President and call the A-G to the floor of Parliament to answer questions about Mabey and Johnson.
- to ensure that the reparation money be used for a worthwhile project in Ghana that will touch on the lives and benefit the ordinary people in health and education under the supervision of an independent body to be set up by Parliament. This should be monitored clearly by the citizenry. to see to it that government officials involved in the matter resign IMMEDIATELY pending investigation into the matter;
- We urge the President of Ghana to condemn such behaviour by government officials and let the whole nation know where he as a person and his government stand on the matter;
- We believe that former President Rawlings, who is always preaching accountability, must himself state clearly to the nation what he knew and what his role in the matter was, including his failure to stop the corrupt officials that he appointed.
- We also believe that the NPP as the main party in opposition owe it to the people of
to mount pressure on the government to follow up with the recommendations in this statement and the many that other Ghanaians may have suggested. We should not let this matter go away quietly and pressure must be mounted on the President to sack his officials who were involved in this scandal. The National Executives of the NPP should therefore immediately petition the Govt. to institute the necessary investigation into the matter. Ghana
We also call on the media, the fourth estate of the Republic to continue to highlight the hypocrisy of the NDC government, former president Rawlings under whose watch this massive scandal of international dimension took place and to ensure that politicians are never again allowed to use our goodwill to align their own pockets.
We further call on all Anti-corruption NGOs, Christian Council, Religious organizations to raise their voices in protest against the NDC Corruption in this matter. Public Demonstrations should be waged as soon as possible in protests demanding immediate firing/dismissal of all those named who are currently in government. eg. Sipa Yankey, Kwame Peprah, Attoh Quarshie, etc.