Welcome to Ghana Pundit: The Home of Politics and Intelligent Analysis

LATEST:

Grab the widget  Tech Dreams

Insist on Your Right to Education

Uneducated citizenry is like a pitch any game can be played on it. Illiteracy is what has given the politicians in Ghana the chance to fool so many people for so a long a time.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Appiah angry over World Player votes scandal

Stephen Appiah
Stephen Appiah
Stephen Appiah has angrily rejected a report by Fifa that the Ghana captain did not vote for his friend and compatriot Michael Essien in the World Player of the Year this week.

A report by the world governing body on Tuesday suggests that the Bologna enforcer did not choose the Chelsea star among his three best players in the world for 2009.

This comes in the wake of Black Queens coach Anthony Edusei’s revelation that he did not also vote even though Fifa named the three players he chose for the women’s award.

The report said Appiah voted for Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi and Samuel Eto’o as his best players for this year.

This is a far departure from his voting pattern in previous years as he has consistently chosen Essien.

There are fears that the revelation on the Fifa website could cause a rift between Ghana’s two biggest players but Appiah says he was not even informed of this year’s voting.

“I am shocked that this false information could be published because as a matter of fact I did not vote this year,” Appiah told Ghanasoccernet.

“Every year I am sent papers to vote but just this year I did not receive the paper to vote so why would someone suggest that I voted.

“Consistently I have voted for Michael and I have not changed my mind this year.

"I have been busy with my recovery training that I did not even know of the event until yesterday when I was told by my team-mates.

“This is not my list for my best players for this year. In my list for this year Essien will top it by all means.

“As a matter of urgency I will find out from the GFA - if they know anything about it - how someone could have voted for me.”

Appiah insists he would not have voted on emotion if he casts his vote for Essien adding that the Chelsea player deserves it.

“I will not vote for Essien because he is my personal friend or a Ghanaian. Essien performance is there for all to see,” Appiah said.

“When he is not in the Chelsea team we all see what happens and you see his contribution to Ghana and his club too as well.”

The report indicated that coach Milovan Rajevac too did not vote Essien as he is reported to have voted for Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi and Didier Drogba.

Coach Edusei’s revelation has heightened concerns that someone at the Ghana FA could have cast the vote without the knowledge of those concerned.

Edusei is said to have voted for female stars Marta, Cristiane and Prinz Birgit.

The Black Queens captain Florence Okoe is reported by Fifa to have voted in a similar pattern as her coach.

The Ghana Football Association is expected to clear the air over who voted for the the coaches and players of the country.

Messi, Barcelona’s Argentine star, won the top award for men while Brazilian star Marta scooped the women’s version.


Source: Ghanasoccernet.com

No comments:

Ghana Pundit Headline News

E-mail subscription

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Pan Africa News

Graphic Ghana

MYJOYONLINE.COM

Peacefm Online - News with a vision

The Times - World News

The Times - Africa News

Pambazuka News :Emerging powers in Africa Watch

AfricaNews - RSS News

The Zimbabwe Telegraph

BBC News | Africa | World Edition

Modern Ghana

My Blog List

R.I.P.

R.I.P.

AfriGator

AfrigatorAfrigator