Welcome to Ghana Pundit: The Home of Politics and Intelligent Analysis

LATEST:

Grab the widget  Tech Dreams

Insist on Your Right to Education

Uneducated citizenry is like a pitch any game can be played on it. Illiteracy is what has given the politicians in Ghana the chance to fool so many people for so a long a time.

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Kufuor: I don't belong to any faction in NPP


Former President John Agyekum Kufuor
Former President John Agyekum Kufuor
Former president John Agyekum Kufuor has dismissed suggestions that he belongs to a “faction” in proposals to amend the constitution of the New Patriotic Party (NPP).

In an address to over a thousand delegates at Pavilion E of the Trade Fair Centre in Accra, the former president, who described himself as a “thorough-bred NPP,” said such speculations were unfounded.

“I have no faction and indeed do not want any faction in the party,” he said.

“I have supported the ideals and principles of the party all my life. I have no intention of departing from them. Through the party I reached the highest point in the political life of our nation.”
Mr Kufuor stressed that he is intent on seeking the well-being of the Dankwa-Busia fraternity and not to rip it apart.

“I am not in contention with anybody for any position within the party or outside it. I wish to play my role as an elder statesman within the party; which position I believe I have earned. I have earned it,” he stated.

He added “as an elder if I see something going wrong or I have a vision I am convinced in, I believe I have a duty…to my conscience, my beliefs to share it with my party members.”

Mr Kufuor’s comments sought to dispel recent perceptions in the media that he is leading a radical school of thought that kicks against several of the proposed amendments to the constitution of the NPP.

The main opposition party is considering a heap of proposals including changing the party’s name from New to National Patriotic Party, swelling its electoral college and restricting the number of its flagbearer aspirants to three.

In an interview with Joy News on Friday, spokesman for the former president, Mr Frank Agyekum, hinted the former president had opined that the current constitution of the party does not need changes necessarily but reinforcement. He said the former president was of the view that the party must at this point tread with caution so it does no exposed to unforeseen dangers.

The Minority in Parliament has fully thrown its support behind the changes and believes the exercise is a health one.

Minority Leader Osei-Kyei Mensah-Bonsu addressing delegates at the ex-ordinary conference emphasised: “We in Parliament by consensus do support the proposed amendments.”

“Let all of us herein assembled; let the conscience of each one of us be the keeper of each one of us,” he said, receiving a raucous applause and shouts of “yee ye” from the party delegates.

Mr Kufuor’s word to the party at the conference grounds was that its leadership adopted an “open-hand” approach, made unity the party’s “rallying cry” and stuck to the campaign refrain Kukrudu, Unity.

The extraordinary delegates conference of the party will be followed by a rally on Sunday at which leadership will reiterate calls for stronger cohesion as the party heads for "The Promised Land."


Story by Fiifi Koomson/Myjoyonline.com/Ghana

No comments:

Ghana Pundit Headline News

E-mail subscription

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Pan Africa News

Graphic Ghana

MYJOYONLINE.COM

Peacefm Online - News with a vision

The Times - World News

The Times - Africa News

Pambazuka News :Emerging powers in Africa Watch

AfricaNews - RSS News

The Zimbabwe Telegraph

BBC News | Africa | World Edition

Modern Ghana

My Blog List

R.I.P.

R.I.P.

AfriGator

AfrigatorAfrigator