A BULAWAYO man who claims he was sodomised by John Nkomo, the front runner for second Vice President, was freed without charge on Wednesday.
Mncedisi Twala was arrested on Friday last week, a day after he made a report alleging he was sexually abused by the Zanu PF national chairman and Minister of State for National Healing in 2002.
Police wanted to charge him with making a false report as well as lying under oath.
But after Twala was clandestinely brought to the Bulawayo Magistrate’s Court for a second day running on Wednesday, Area Public Prosecutor Simon Nleya ordered police to release him and conduct further investigations into his allegations.
Twala, accompanied by plain-clothes detectives, arrived at the court after all the other cases for the day had gone through the “Set Down”.
The detective handling the investigation proceeded to Nleya's office, and were immediately joined by Mkhululi Nyathi, who is Twala’s lawyer appointed by the Zimbabwe Lawyers for Human Rights.
Just before 1PM, Nyathi emerged and told reporters Nleya had directed that Twala be released pending further investigations by the police.
Kucaca Phulu of the Zimbabwe Lawyers for Human Rights expressed “surprise” at the police decision to arrest Twala before investigating his claims.
“How can they dismiss Twala’s allegations before launching investigations?” Phulu said.
Nkomo told Radio VOP he was aware that a man had made allegations of sodomy against him.
“But nothing like that ever happened. This is a dirty game which I think is political,” said Nkomo.
Nkomo’s supporters say he is being smeared by political rivals to scupper his bid to succeed Joseph Msika as President Mugabe’s second Vice President.
Source:The New African Times