By SARAH NCUBE
Published: August 28, 2009
ZIMBABWE – BULAWAYO- Legislators got a shock of their tummies when they ate contaminated food at a local hotel in Bulawayo.
The parliamentarians who are members of the African Parliamentarians Network Against Corruption had their meeting disrupted as they spent most of it jostling for the toilets.
The sudden sickness affected the whole delegation including the speaker who had to take unannounced breaks.
One of the MPs who spoke on condition of anonymity because they had settled the matter with the hotel confirmed the incident to The Zimbabwe Telegraph.
“The problem was with the chicken we ate. It was drama I tell you, all of us going to the toilets. There was too much congestion at the ablutions! some of us then resorted to use our rooms. Imagine those who had to go all the way 4th floor! the lifts were not so reliable so they had to use the steps” he said.
The MPs wrote to the hotel management that they were not pleased by the embarrassment caused to them.
However, the source said that the legislators were in general agreement that the issue had to be taken up to the Zimbabwe Tourism Authority because such a situation might pose as a danger to the Zimbabwe tourism drive.