Welcome to Ghana Pundit: The Home of Politics and Intelligent Analysis

LATEST:

Grab the widget  Tech Dreams

Insist on Your Right to Education

Uneducated citizenry is like a pitch any game can be played on it. Illiteracy is what has given the politicians in Ghana the chance to fool so many people for so a long a time.

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Former minister in Ghana arrested

Foreign Minister Akwasi Osei-Adjei, file image
Mr Osei-Adjei said prosecutors had not given him details of the charges

Ghana's former Foreign Minister Akwasi Osei-Adjei has been charged with causing financial loss to the state.

Mr Osei-Adjei has been under investigation over rice imports from India earlier this year.

In an interview with the BBC, the former minister said he had not been informed of the exact details of the charges, but he denied any wrongdoing.

Mr Osei-Adjei had previously taken the government to court after he had his passport seized during the inquiry.

The BBC's James Afedo in the capital, Accra, says several members of the previous government are being investigated for alleged corruption.

Never in my wildest dreams [did I think] they were going to arrest me and charge me
Akwasi Osei-Adjei

Mr Osei-Adjei is the first official from ex-President John Kufuor's administration to be formally charged, he says.

The former minister told the BBC's Network Africa programme that prosecutors had not informed him why he was being summoned to the Bureau of National Investigation.

"I knew we had a case pending in court so I thought perhaps they wanted to talk to me about how we could resolve the issue," he said.

"Never in my wildest dreams [did I think] they were going to arrest me and charge me.

"To go the extent of labelling me, that I caused financial loss, I don't seem to accept it," he said.

He was released on a $333,000 (£203,000) bail and said a hearing date had been set for Friday.

Mr Kufuor stood down as president after serving the maximum two terms after his ruling party narrowly lost elections in December.

No comments:

Ghana Pundit Headline News

E-mail subscription

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Pan Africa News

Graphic Ghana

MYJOYONLINE.COM

Peacefm Online - News with a vision

The Times - World News

The Times - Africa News

Pambazuka News :Emerging powers in Africa Watch

AfricaNews - RSS News

The Zimbabwe Telegraph

BBC News | Africa | World Edition

Modern Ghana

My Blog List

R.I.P.

R.I.P.

AfriGator

AfrigatorAfrigator