Welcome to Ghana Pundit: The Home of Politics and Intelligent Analysis

LATEST:

Grab the widget  Tech Dreams

Insist on Your Right to Education

Uneducated citizenry is like a pitch any game can be played on it. Illiteracy is what has given the politicians in Ghana the chance to fool so many people for so a long a time.

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Usain Bolt sets new world record to win 200m gold in Berlin


Usain Bolt
Usain Bolt
Jamaican sprint superstar Usain Bolt sets yet another world record with a stunning victory in the 200m final at the World Championships.

Bolt set a time of 19.19 seconds to demolish the previous record of 19.30 he set in winning Olympic gold last summer in Beijing.

The 22-year-old finished well clear of the field, with silver medallist Alonso Edward finishing in 19.81.

Wallace Spearmon of the United States took bronze.

Bolt, who also smashed the 100m record in Berlin on Sunday, is now the first man to hold the 100 and 200m world and Olympic titles at the same time.

After a nervy opening which saw Frenchman David Alerte false start, Bolt streaked off the blocks and took the lead around the bend.

He put on the afterburners as the track straightened up to leave the chasing pack trailing in his wake and as he crossed the line, Bolt pointed at his historic time on the electronic display.

Earlier in the week Bolt had said he did not think a 200m record was on after missing a month of training earlier this year following a car crash in Jamaica.

And after the 200m Bolt told BBC Sport: "I can definitely say I didn't expect that because I was a little bit tired.

"I said let's try because people are really looking out for this, I said it won't hurt to try. So I tried really hard and now I'm really tired.

"Maybe next time I should just run the 200m or the 100m alone. My form was going backwards. I wasn't running upright. It wasn't a good race but it was a fast one."


Source: BBC

No comments:

Ghana Pundit Headline News

E-mail subscription

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Pan Africa News

Graphic Ghana

MYJOYONLINE.COM

Peacefm Online - News with a vision

The Times - World News

The Times - Africa News

Pambazuka News :Emerging powers in Africa Watch

AfricaNews - RSS News

The Zimbabwe Telegraph

BBC News | Africa | World Edition

Modern Ghana

My Blog List

R.I.P.

R.I.P.

AfriGator

AfrigatorAfrigator