Welcome to Ghana Pundit: The Home of Politics and Intelligent Analysis

LATEST:

Grab the widget  Tech Dreams

Insist on Your Right to Education

Uneducated citizenry is like a pitch any game can be played on it. Illiteracy is what has given the politicians in Ghana the chance to fool so many people for so a long a time.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Bagbin: We Still Have Bootlickers Around Prez Mills Despite Reshuffle

The Majority Leader in Parliament now Minister-designate for Water Resources, Works and Housing, Alban Kingsford Sumana Bagbin, says in spite of President John Evans Atta Mills’ first cabinet reshuffle announced on Monday, there are still bootlickers around the president who were not affected by the political chess-game.

In the latter part of last year, the Majority Leader backed former President Rawlings, when he (Mr. Rawlings) stated that President Mills was surrounded by “bootlickers”.

But speaking to Peace FM on “Kokrokoo”, Bagbin, who is also MP for Nadowli West Constituency in the Upper West Region, stressed that though some of the fawners were affected by the reshuffle, quite a few still remain within the government.

“We still have some bootlickers still in government; some are also not in government. Even when I made that statement….I still meet them, we discuss and I agree that we have to from time to time, disagree with each other. I don’t mince words, when I meet them. They know and some have even come to discuss the issue with me (regarding) why I made that statement and I explained to them in detail,” he said.

The Minister-designate rejected a suggestion he was part of the group of people who tried to undermine the president over certain happenings in government.

According to the Nadowli West MP, he only voiced concern about the lack of opportunity being offered some members of the Executive, the Legislature and other main players who are supportive of the Party’s vision.

“The government machinery was not giving enough attention to the party’s foot soldiers who helped to wrestle power from the NPP government…They were also not being briefed on what was happening in government so people felt left out… they were depending on the rumour mill and getting disenchanted. That was building up a ground swell of internal opposition… I was not criticizing the President,” he told Kwami Sefa Kayi.

Bagbin argued that since he decided to alert the President on the issue, measures have been taken to “fill this lacuna.”

“I think that in spite of the displeasure or dissatisfaction by individuals, I think that we’ve gained as a people and as a nation from that statement,” he said.

Touching on his new appointment as a Cabinet Minister, the Water Resources, Works and Housing Minister- designate, remarked that he believes he will do better in his new environment.

“It is another challenge given to me and as such I’m quite thoughtful and looking at what would happen…. I am convinced that my leadership of that sector could add some value to what my seniors, those who were there before me, have already built. I am going to build on what they have done so far,” he assured.



Source: Peacefmonline

No comments:

Ghana Pundit Headline News

E-mail subscription

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Pan Africa News

Graphic Ghana

MYJOYONLINE.COM

Peacefm Online - News with a vision

The Times - World News

The Times - Africa News

Pambazuka News :Emerging powers in Africa Watch

AfricaNews - RSS News

The Zimbabwe Telegraph

BBC News | Africa | World Edition

Modern Ghana

My Blog List

R.I.P.

R.I.P.

AfriGator

AfrigatorAfrigator